The Grand Linfield


So what do you do when you’ve taken the day off work to swim and hike but the rain rolls in? You “dollhouse” of course!

I got the call from my mom the other day informing me that Dollar Tree had wooden dollhouse furniture so naturally I jumped in the car and headed to my nearest store and purchased all they had.

One of my finds was this sofa table that I decided to convert into a farm sink for the Linfield Kitchen. First, I sketched on the top where I wanted the sink positioned.


I cut out the area. I then removed the knobs and added corregated scrapbook paper to the fronts of the remaining drawers. I painted the unit mint green.


I sized out my sink and cut my balsa wood pieces to form my basin. I then poured white paint into the sink instead of painting with a brush because I wanted it to look more like a porcelain sink than wood. I rotated the sink in all directions to spread the paint. I then held it upside down to allow the excess to drip out. As I allowed this to happen, I tamped the sink lightly on a scrap board so that drips would not dry around the sink rim. Once the inside paint was set well enough, I lightly pressed the sides of the sink into a puddle of paint. Then I sat it aside to dry…and this took a VERY long time.



I moved back to the sink base. I measured and constructed a backsplash shelf using balsa wood, trim, and spindles. I applied some World and Model tiles and the attached it to the back of the cabinet.



I had a small sink faucet that I attached to a long metal bead to make it taller. I constructed the knobs using flat head pins and white glass beads. I then dry brushed brown paint around the edges to give it an antique look.



At this point my sink is nowhere close to being dry. So I began constructing the scene. I started with a bowl of "pancake batter". I partially filled the bowl with ivory paint. I then sprinkled talcum on top. I the took the tiny whisk and swirled it around a bit and left to dry.



Once everything was dry, I installed the sink and added all the finishing touches.




On to the next piece...

 


HeaderBanner.png