Featured Posts

Archive

Categories

Related Products

Moorland Cottage


Just a little more tweaking and the front is complete. Oh how I wish this could be my full time job.


For under the gable, I cut strips of wood and stained them. Then I applied a generous layer of grout adhesive directly to the surface of the house and placed each strip of wood, mashing down so that the grout oozed between.


For the stone entry, I used paper clay. I assembled the wood steps that came with the kit and then, once the glue was dry, I covered the sections with paper clay (there are a ton of great tutorials out there via Google for working with paper clay). I allowed the clay to dry for a couple of hours and carved the stone shapes using a dental pick. I then began applying paint colors until I was satisfied. I think I may go back and add some moss between the stones…can’t decide yet so I’m going to mull that one over for awhile.


I attached a pretty scrapbook cutout above the upper window and then semi-dry brushed around the edges of the timbers to further age it.

Now to the side of the house.

For the side of the house, I added two small windows on the main floor. These two windows will flank the fireplace in the living area. I also needed to build a chimney to go along with the fireplace. I marked out the basic placement onto the dollhouse wall. I then took graph paper and made a template of the shape I wanted to create.


Using the graph paper template, I cut out the shape from a piece of balsa wood.


I then built up the back of the cutout to my desired depth using square balsa strips. I just layered the strips on top of each other until it was two strips thick.


Next I constructed the top of the chimney that will go on the roof (I’m sure there’s a proper name for this part of a chimney but I don’t know it :))



I then added some handmade bricks to random places on both sections of the chimney and painted them.


I then applied a generous amount of matte Mod Podge on the bricks. This seals them as well as provides a brick surface in which I can wipe away the grout adhesive I used in my next step.

I used a spatula and spread the grout over the entire chimney wiping of my bricks as I went to expose them.


Once the chimney pieces were dry, I attached them into place and began finishing the side to match the front.

First I applied drywall mud all over and textured it with paper towels. I then painted it antique white. I next glued paper clay to the bottom of the wall on either side of the chimney and created stones as I had done to my front steps.


I added a cap to the top of the chimney using premade bricks and grout. I then dry brushed the cap with black paint to simulate smoke stains.


I created non working shutters for the top floor window opening using the same technique used on the front door. I also carried over my use of the handmade bricks underneath the window from the front of the house.


I added my strips under the eaves to match the front roof and glued a scrapbook cutout above the window. I then added all my timbers.


I dry brushed stain around the edge of each timbered section to age it.


Finally I created more leaded “glass” to go in the small windows I added. I also added small scrapbook cutout left overs above each of the small windows.


This was my first chimney construction so I know there are some design errors going on but I was happy with the look and just decided to roll with it.


I am thrilled with the way the house is starting to come together.


  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Pinterest Icon

©2018 MY TINY LIFE. PROUDLY CREATED WITH WIX.COM