Brick Facade Tutorial

I decided to try out some new brick and masonry techniques that I think I want to use on my next project - Perfume Shop. Since I anticipated that these techniques would be laborious, I opted for creating a sample before getting in over my head on the actual room box.

First, I gathered some supplies which included this adhesive backed cork paper.

I then traced and cut my bricks from the cork paper.

Next, I peeled the backing from the bricks and arranged them on my sample board. I then painted the bricks.

Once the paint had dried, I applied a layer of matte Mod Podge. I have found when doing brick or stone work that applying this layer allows you more control when you apply and then remove the grout in the next step.

While the Mod Podge dried completely, I mixed my grout. I prefer to buy grout and Spackle from the home improvement stores. It is much cheaper than purchasing special grout specifically for miniatures.

I used one part sanded grout and one part spackle. This mix (in the tin cap) brings the sanded grout (on the spatula) down to the correct scale texture.

I covered the bricks with the grout mixture and allowed it to sit for about 20 minutes before gently wiping off the access with a damp sponge.

After allowing the grout to dry completely, I took a piece of brown craft paper and tore it into random sized pieces.

I applied a thick coat of Mod Podge to a section of the sample and laid down the torn pieces of paper in random patterns. As I laid down pieces of the torn paper, I would brush and dab the paper with additional Mod Podge.

I continued in this manner until I had covered the desired area, leaving some brick exposed. I then used a stiff brush and stippled on more Mod Podge, paying particular attention to the edges around the exposed bricks. I worked to feather the paper out around the edges to make it seem as if it had worn from the bricks.

After allowing the piece to dry completely (approx. 2 hours) I decided to go back and apply more paint to the bricks to give them depth and add the appearance of age.

I began painting the craft paper section. I used a based of white milk paint and then applied a deep turquise color that I plan on using on the shop. I left the white exposed around the edges where the paper meets the bricks. I definitely recommend using milk or chalk paint as it gives a more plaster feel to the paper.

I continued applying paint to the bricks and plaster until I had achieved the desired look. Since this was also a chance for me to test the stain and paint colors I have chosen for the shop against each other, I decided to go ahead and apply some scrap wood trim to the sample to complete the look.

I am very happy with the results and it wasn't at all as difficult as I had expected. This little sample definitely gave me the confidence to dive right in and start work on the Perfume Shop.