©2018 MY TINY LIFE. PROUDLY CREATED WITH WIX.COM

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Pinterest Icon

Moorland Cottage

September 16, 2017

Just a little more tweaking and the front is complete.  Oh how I wish this could be my full time job.

For under the gable, I cut strips of  wood and stained them. Then I applied a generous layer of grout adhesive directly to the surface of the house and placed each strip of wood, mashing down so that the grout oozed between.

For the stone entry,  I used paper clay.  I assembled the wood steps that came with the kit and then, once the glue was dry, I covered the sections with paper clay (there are a ton of great tutorials out there via Google for working with paper clay). I allowed the clay to dry for a couple of hours and carved the stone shapes using a dental pick.  I then began applying paint colors until I was satisfied.  I think I may go back and add some moss between the stones…can’t decide yet so I’m going to mull that one over for awhile.

I attached a pretty scrapbook cutout above the upper window and then semi-dry brushed around the edges of the timbers to further age it.

 

Now to the side of the house.

 

For the side of the house, I added two small windows on the main floor. These two windows will flank the fireplace in the living area.  I also needed to build a chimney to go along with the fireplace.  I marked out the basic placement onto the dollhouse wall.  I then took graph paper and made a template of the shape I wanted to create. 

 

Using the graph paper template, I cut out the shape from a piece of balsa wood.

I then built up the back of the cutout to my desired depth using square balsa strips.  I just layered the strips on top of each other until it was two strips thick. 

Next I constructed the top of the chimney that will go on the roof (I’m sure there’s a proper name for this part of a chimney but I don’t know it :))

 

I then added some handmade bricks to random places on both sections of the chimney and painted them.

I then applied a generous amount of matte Mod Podge on the bricks.  This seals them as well as provides a brick surface in which I can wipe away the grout adhesive I used in my next step. 

 

I used a spatula and spread the grout over the entire chimney wiping of my bricks as I went to expose them.

Once the chimney pieces were dry, I attached them into place and began finishing the side to match the front.  

First I applied drywall mud all over and textured it with paper towels.  I then painted it antique white.  I next  glued paper clay to the bottom of the wall on either side of the chimney and created stones as I had done to my front steps. 

 

I added a cap to the top of the chimney using premade bricks and grout.  I then dry brushed the cap with black paint to simulate smoke stains.

I created non working shutters for the top floor window opening using the same technique used on the front door.  I also carried over my use of the handmade bricks underneath the window from the front of the house.
 

 

I added my strips under the eaves to match the front roof and glued a scrapbook cutout above the window.  I then added all my timbers.

I dry brushed stain around the edge of each timbered section to age it.

Finally I created more leaded “glass” to go in the small windows I added.  I also added small scrapbook cutout left overs above each of the small windows.

This was my first chimney construction so I know there are some design errors going on but I was happy with the look and just decided to roll with it.  

I am thrilled with the way the house is starting to come together.  

 

 

 

 

Please reload

Featured Posts

November 11, 2018

April 15, 2018

March 20, 2018

Please reload

Archive

Please reload

Related Products

Please reload

Categories