Time to decorate the rooms. I started with the attic rooms-child’s loft and attic storage.
First was the loft. I created the bed frame and the round bed side table out of scraps of balsa wood, dowels, and loads of glue. I knew I would be covering these pieces with fabrics so I didn’t have to worry too much about precision, painting, or prettiness. For the quilt, I knew there was no way I could cut and sew together tiny shapes so I cut small strips of fabric and weaved them together hoping to give the illusion of an actual quilt. I made a very simple mattress, pillows, and sheets then applied various trims to finish everything off before gluing to the bed frame. I finished the bed by gluing a scrapbook cutout as a headboard.
I then worked on the bed side table, cutting out a couple of different sized circles from fabric, trimming them out, and gluing it all down. I then took some jewelry findings and a small dowel and made a lamp. I also printed out various children’s books, put them all together, and placed one on the table.
I had some small toys that I had picked up somewhere down the road. They had been sitting in a box for years now. So I spent most of a day searching for them. While searching, I came upon a long lost, bottom half of an old shelving unit. I had removed the hutch/top half for another project and saved the bottom should I ever need it. Turns out it was exactly the right size for an attic bedroom. I painted it up, mod podged a little printed image onto it, and placed various toys and books.
I found a rug image online and printed it out onto printer fabric and then added various trims to it. I used an unfinished chair which I painted and added a decal to. Then I made a little table out of left over stair spindles and wood. After painting the table, I knew I wanted some sort of scene going on so I found a little puzzle online. I printed it, cut it, and glued it to the tabletop.
I then built my own little dollhouse for my dollhouse. I scattered additional toys around, and then created a couple of wall hangings made from jewelry frames and inserted pictures I printed from online.
This little loft ended up gladly putting a tiny dent in my hoarded bits and pieces. I couldn’t wait to do the attic storage space! I began pulling out all kinds of odds and ends that had been sitting in boxes and drawers for years and started filling up the space. I ended up only making a couple of the items in this room - the Christmas tree box and the Xmas Decor box.
Once the attic was completed, I was then able to shingle the back roof. I am in love with the way it came together. Not only did I finally bust my stash, but I was also able to make the things I didn’t already have on hand, making this a “no-money-spent project”.
On to the next room...