Now for the interior of this Painted Lady...
The first decision I made was to create a partially enclosed, wrapping staircase. This created a few interesting nooks on the first floor. I cut the stair runs that came with the kit into two sections. I used foam poster board to create the walls. I now understand why dealers charge so much for pre assembled stairs. I don’t know that I would ever try to tackle creating my own staircase again. This single project took me well over a month of constant tweaking and redo’s to get it right…or at least good enough to fit.
In the living room area I used various embossed scrapbook papers to create a grand ceiling. This house was my first attempt at papering the ceilings instead of plastering and painting. I am so happy I branched out and tried this. The ceilings are some of my favorite features in this house. I used the thin floor planks that came with the kit in the living room. After much sanding, staining, and varnishing, I cut the strips at various length and staggered the planks as I glued them to the floor.
I carried the same coral tones from the outside trim into the space with 4 coordinating wallpaper prints from ItsyBitsyMinis.com. You sometimes take a chance when ordering opened/used kits from EBay dealers and I found that the components for the side window were missing and I had to build up that opening from scratch. It did cause some unevenness around the window frame but nothing a cute pair of homemade curtains couldn’t hide.
I am in love with my kitchen and dining floor. I discovered some paint sample cards in Home Depot for a marble-look paint they carry. I took all the little sample cards for two of their colors (sorry, Home Depot) and cut each individual square and glued them down. I then took more of the flooring strips that came with the house, white-washed them, and applied them to the walls instead. I used a silver, embossed scrapbook paper to create a tin ceiling look.
The enclosed staircase created a little area under the stairs in the kitchen. I cut various lengths of large corner trim and glued in place to create some tucked away pantry shelving.
I changed up the tile layout in the bay/dining area to better define it as a separate space from the kitchen. I also created a room divider using a wood fan slat and papered the ceiling with a bold contrasting wallpaper. The ceiling medallion is a scrapbook frame found at Michael’s. And once again, the windows got my homemade curtain treatment.
Now up the stairs for more…
As you ascend the stairs, you enter into the bedroom.
I again used embossed scrapbook papers and frames on the ceiling. I papered right over the intended attic access as I moved that to another room. Instead of actual dollhouse wallpapers, I chose a coral and blue printed scrapbook paper. I printed a free parquet-look flooring paper from the Internet and applied and coated it with Mod Podge Lustre so it would appear glossed.
I again had some missing components from the kit and had to improvise the French door trim.
I used left over banister railing from another house kit and I shifted the dividing wall upstairs to the other side of the stairway opening. This better defined a second room space and helped me to create a tucked away large hall/study space.
The kit came with a wood piece to use as the ceiling above this windowed space. I decided to not use it and instead have the ceiling open all the way up to the attic roof. This created a loft area in the attic space directly above. This is also where my attic ladder it now located. I used more scrapbook paper on the walls and a tile paper from ItsyBitsyMini.com for the flooring.
I also took the two corner, single shelves this house was intended to have and built them up into bookcases which I embellished with more cutouts from a wooden fan slat. I trimmed out the window to match the trim on the French doors in the bedroom.
By shifting the wall at the staircase and adding two, small wall sections at the back, I was able to create a small bathroom space. I used tile paper from ItsyBitsyMinis.com for the flooring, embossed silver scrapbook paper for the ceiling, and standard scrapbook paper for the walls. I brought in more of the dental crown moulding used in the French door trim to create a room divider.
Now to the attic…
As you climb the stairs, you will enter a lofted room that overlooks the little windows below. I added railing and used another tile paper from ItsyBitsyMinis.com.
I covered the slanted ceilings with another silver embossed scrapbook paper.
I then doubled the size of the small dividing wall that came with the kit using cardboard. I also shifted the wall further down to make the room larger. I created a faux storage access door as well.
The small space left in the attic is now a proper attic storage space. A simple “tile” scrapbook paper on the floor and newspaper wallpaper found on free mini printable website was used. I also used craft sticks to create an unfinished attic look. I also trimmed out a faux door.
Now I just need to add the back shingles and decorate and this project is done.